Halifax, N.S.--The Port of Halifax has seen an increase in cargo activity at the port, with containers diverted from the United States because of damage from superstorm Sandy.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which officially reopened for limited business this week, saw berths left useless by power outages or destruction from the storm surge.
Ashley Dinning, the CEO and managing director of the Halterm Limited container terminal in Halifax, said the fallout from Sandy has tripled the usual number of containers at the site, reported the CBC.
"To avoid ships bunching up in New York waiting for the port to open, our biggest customer here at Halterm decided to discharge not only the Halifax cargo but also the New York cargo,” Dinning told reporters.
Cruise ships have also shown up in the region, with the last one leaving Saint John, N.B. on Friday. Natalie Kenrick, of the Halifax Port Authority, said three others docked in Halifax earlier this week to avoid running into the fearsome weather.
"So that represented about 3,000 additional passengers that weren't scheduled to come to the city," she said.
At the Halterm container terminal 130 crane operators and other employees were reported to be working in shifts around the clock.
Dinning told reporters he hoped to keep the heavy terminal traffic going into next week by convincing other container ship companies to unload in Halifax, said the report.