OTTAWA, ON-- The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs, and Minister of the Economic Development Agency for the Regions of Quebec, announced that the Government of Canada has issued a request for proposals for preparatory studies and writing of technical requirements for the new bridge for the St. Lawrence.
“Building a new bridge for the St. Lawrence continues to be a priority, and the preliminary construction work is on schedule,” said Minister Lebel. “The results of this request for proposals will play a determining role in the effectiveness and operations of the future bridge," said Lebel.
The preparatory studies aim to help identify options for the operation of intelligent transportation systems, electrical and lighting systems, and electronic tolling systems. The intelligent transportation systems will incorporate various information and communication technologies that will give road users an efficient, safe and sustainable transportation network. They will also help users travel quickly and safely by informing them of any delay or other situation that may impact their travel. These systems will additionally enable a continuous flow of goods.
The preparatory studies will include the following, said a government release:
· assessment of relevant intelligent transportation system options, in particular traffic management systems, user information systems, safety systems and monitoring of trucking;
· assessment of technological compatibility and information sharing with systems used by other organizations, for electronic systems and tolling;
· recommended design criteria for these systems;
· description of needs for electrical and lighting systems.
The request for proposals also includes:
· preparation of preliminary design drawings for intelligent transportation systems, tolling systems, and electrical and lighting systems;
· writing of technical specifications and performance criteria for intelligent transportation systems, tolling systems, and electrical and lighting systems, to be incorporated in bid or proposal documentation for the next phases of the project;
· preparation of cost estimates for installation, maintenance and long-term operation of intelligent transportation systems, tolling systems, and electrical and lighting systems.